With the Firefox 1.0 release due soon the extension version has been increased to 1.0 recently. This weekend I updated both the User Agent Switcher and Web Developer extensions to support this and asked for the change to be made on Mozilla Update.
I am also planning on releasing new versions of both extensions soon after Firefox 1.0 is released. For the User Agent Switcher this is just a minor update with a few enhancements, but the Web Developer release will be a major upgrade. You can check out what is already coded for this next release on the to-do page.
A new version of the User Agent Switcher extension has been released. The main addition in this release is support for changing the app name and app version in builds of Firefox and Mozilla after July 22nd, as per bug 166395. This release should also finally fix the incompatibilities with the Compact Menu extension.
A new version of the User Agent Switcher extension has been released. This release adds a toolbar button for Firefox and improves the interface for maintaining the list of user agents, as well as fixing the incompatibilities with the Compact Menu extension and the user agent not resetting when the browser was closed.
User Agent Switcher 0.4 and Web Developer 0.8 have now been released.
Admittedly these were released a little ahead of schedule—particularly Web Developer—as I wanted to have them available before Firefox 0.9. I did a fair amount of testing over the weekend, but inevitably some bugs will—and have—slipped through. The following issues have already been discovered:
User Agent Switcher
- The user agent is not reset when the browser closes
- ‘Visited Links’ features do not work in Firefox 0.9
- ‘Edit CSS’ sidebar has an oversized margin
The announcement of a new default theme for Mozilla Firefox also came a little too late for me to include it, but I will look into supporting this for the next release.
With Firefox 0.9 due to be released either on Saturday, June 12th or Monday, June 14th, I have been working on getting both the User Agent Switcher and Web Developer extensions compatible with the new extension manager. Both extensions are now ready to go and I am just doing some final testing before releasing them.
User Agent Switcher 0.4 will not be a major update, but as well as Firefox 0.9 compatibility there is now localized language support and the number of user agents is now configurable and unlimited.
Web Developer 0.8, on the other hand, is a major update and includes many new features, improvements and bug fixes along with Firefox 0.9 compatibility. The full list of changes is pretty big, but the highlights are:
- Added the features:
- Clear Session Cookies
- Disable Image Animations
- Display Access Keys
- Display Block Size
- Display Current Size in Title
- Display Link Paths
- Display Tab Index
- Display Topographic Information
- Make Form Fields Writable
- Outline Frames
- Outline Images With Empty Alt Attributes
- Populate Form Fields
- Show Comments
- Added a Pinstripe theme and updated the Qute theme
- Added better tab and window support
- Added localized language support
- Colors for all features that display tooltips are now configurable
- Fixed bugs:
- Opening a popup window with the toolbar in text mode crashed the browser
- Status icons became invisible with the toolbar in text mode
- ‘Validate Local CSS’ was not working
- Improved the ‘Edit CSS’ feature:
- Font is now monospaced and the size is configurable
- Style sheets are now displayed in separate tabs
- Removed all unnecessary page refreshes
I have also tidied the menus a little and added a new top-level menu ‘CSS’ which will require any Web Developer themes to be updated. I will update the theming instructions and post in the MozillaZine Themes forum with instructions on what needs to be changed.
Look for both extensions to be released sometime this weekend.